At Reykjavík Campsite we want to serve as an example of sustainability in everything we do. From monitoring energy use to encouraging proper recycling, we‘d like to inspire our guests to travel responsibly. We adhere to our Sustainability Policy and strive to minimize the impact of our campsite on society as well as Iceland’s vulnerable ecosystem.
Previously the Campsite has been recognized by Earth Check for its environmental achievements and is now preparing for Vakinn certification.
Our actions include:
• Using environmental certified chemicals only for all regular cleaning.
• Offering environmental certified products in our facilities, e.g. hand soap
• Recycling carboards, paper, plastics, glass, metal and organic waste.
• Generating minimal waste with responsible purchasing, e.g. buying in bulk where possible.
• Monitoring waste bins and optimize waste management.
• Minimizing food waste by encouraging guests to leave all edible food behind for their fellow travelers.
• Not selling bottled water but encourage guests to fill up their own bottles with our delicious tap water.
• Offering swap areas so guests can give away what they don‘t need and pick up what they can make use of.
• Monitoring water usage, both hot and cold water.
• Monitoring energy usage regularly.
• Encouraging car sharing among guests and promote public transport.
• Organizing pickups of guests by the highland busses directly at the campsite.
We encourage you to participate in our sustainability actions by
• Take the Pledge, be a responsible traveler.
• Participate in recycling and separate your waste into the categories we provide.
• Do not leave any litter behind. Tidy up around you and your tent.
• Use free food and swap shelves.
• Fill up your water bottle and enjoy the pure Icelandic tap water.
• Be a responsible traveler, not only in our Campsite, but act carefully in our precious nature wherever you go in Iceland.
Reykjavík Campsite belongs to the City of Reykjavík and it is run by Hostelling International (HI) Iceland, an NGO who strongly values sustainability. HI Iceland runs two HI Hostels (Dalur HI Hostel and Loft HI Hostel), and our campsite has benefited from the experience, knowledge, and best practices developed at the hostels.