Reykjavík Campsite serves as an example of sustainability in everything we do. From monitoring energy use to recycling facilities we‘d like to inspire our guests to travel responsibly. We follow our Sustainability Policy and over the years we‘ve implemented various practices to minimize the impact of our campsite on the society as well as the environment.
Currently, we are preparing the certification of Vakinn but previously the Campsite has been recognized by Earth Check for its environmental achievements.
Few of our actions are:
• Use environmental certified chemicals only for all regular cleaning.
• Offer environmental certified products in our facilities, e.g. hand soap, dishwashing liquid and paper towels.
• Recycle carboards, paper, plastics, glass, metal and organic waste.
• Generate minimal waste with responsible purchasing, e.g. buy in bulk where possible.
• Monitor waste bins and optimize waste management.
• Minimize food waste by encouraging guests to leave all edible food behind for their fellow travelers.
• Do not sell bottled water but encourage guests to fill up their own bottles with our delicious tap water.
• Offer swap areas so guests can give away what they don‘t need and pick up what they can make use of.
• Monitor water usage, both hot and cold water.
• Save energy by implementing LED lights wherever possible and monitor the energy usage regularly.
• Support local scouts by donating all used drink bottles to them (PET).
• Bike rental (at the nearby hostel).
• Encourage car sharing among guests.
• Promote public transport.
• Organize pickups of guests by the highland busses directly at the campsite.
We do encourage you to participate in our sustainability actions by
• Take the Pledge, being a responsible traveler.
• Participate in recycling. Separate your waste into the categories we provide.
• Do not leave any litter behind. Tidy up around you and your tent.
• Use free food and swap shelves.
• Fill up your water bottle and enjoy the pure Icelandic tap water.
• Be a responsible traveler, not only in our Campsite, but act carefully in our precious nature wherever you go in Iceland.
Reykjavík Campsite belongs to the City of Reykjavík and it is run by Hostelling International (HI) Iceland, an NGO who strongly values sustainability. HI Iceland runs three Swan Eco-labelled hostels (Reykjavik City Hostel, Reykjavik Downtown Hostel and Reykjavik Loft Hostel), and our campsite has benefited from the experience, knowledge, and best practices developed at the hostels.